Over the past few weeks, I've painted and sanded the main shell several times with a combination of filler and primer to smooth out the epoxy glue areas from the magnets and reed switch, eliminate tiny holes, and get a really flat surface. I finally got to the point where I could apply the silver metallic spray paint.
I had no experience painting a larger objekt with metallic color, so this was a process of trial and error for me. It took me several attempts (after which I sanded the paint back down) to finally get an even coat.
I used a silver DupliColor AutoColor paint that was available at my local hardware store. After half an hour, a glossy clear coat had to be applied as a protective layer (so it's kind of a 2-component paint).
After the main shell was done, I also painted the door the same silver color. The next day, I taped off the recess on the front of the main shell to paint the scanner area with a slightly darker shade of silver. And I used the same color for the button panels of the door (the holes you can see in the photos are for the touch button wires). After the paint and clear coat dried, I painted the EMRG area black.
And I taped the scanner front again. This time I sprayed a very thin black border around the cutout for the center scanner light bar. Here are a few close-ups of the spray painted shell (hinges still missing):
Diffuser for the middle scanner barSection titled Diffuser for the middle scanner bar
When I had redesigned the front panel to fit the cutouts on the LED panels, I also had ordered a laser-cut acrylic rod for the wide scanner bar in the center of the front panel. The rod has small “feet” on the left and right ends to hold it in place. I sanded the rod for light diffusion and so you can't see through the LEDs.
I also happened to have a piece of self-adhesive frosted glass film lying around. The film is translucent, but on closer inspection it looks like it has a silver surface texture. I tested it with an LED light behind it, and was pleased with the result. So I cut it to size and added it to the back of the acrylic rod.
Adding protruding greeblesSection titled Adding protruding greebles
Next, I selected the best-fitting laser-cut acrylic greebles and glued them into place with a transparent 2-component epoxy. For the lower (larger) row, I decided to alternate parts with and without star-shaped cutouts (with “clean” end pieces and some light scattering in between). For the upper row I used only simple acrylic parts without cutouts. The individual greebles also have “feet” for alignment.
Later, I added the frosted film to the back of the protruding greebles as well.
Adding white and black greeblesSection titled Adding white and black greebles
I had already painted the “eye” greebles white and the “L”-shaped corner greebles black. I chose the ones that fit best in the cutouts of the front panel and glued them in place with transparent epoxy...